IF YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU MAY HAVE A DRUG ABUSE PROBLEM,
YOU CAN TAKE THE SELF ASSESSMENT BELOW.
Please note this test is not a substitute for a diagnosis by a professional, but is a good beginning to simply help you see that you may have a problem. The best course of action is always confer with a doctor if you think you have an issue with drugs or alcohol.
The questions below refer to the past year. Carefully read each question and decide whether your answer is yes or no.
1. Have you ever decided to cut back or stop your drug use or drinking and been unable to do so?
2. Have other people bothered you by criticizing your drug use or drinking?
3. Have you ever felt guilt or remorse about your drug use or drinking?
4. Have you ever had a drink or used drugs upon waking to feel better from the previous night?
5. Have you ever had problems at school, work or with the law as a result of drinking or drug use?
6. Has your drug use or drinking ever caused difficulties with your family, children, parents, spouse or friends?
7. Have you ever avoided attending important family commitments, missed work or skipped school because you were high, hung-over or drunk?
8. Have you had “blackouts” or “flashbacks” as a result of your drinking or drug use?
9. Have you (or others) been injured or has property of yours (or others) been damaged or destroyed as a result of your drinking or drug use?
10. Have you ever lost a job or a business because of drinking or drug use?
11. Do you drink or use to escape your problems?
12. Do you drink or use when you are alone?
13. Have you ever been in a hospital because of drinking or drug use?
14. Has drinking or using ever made it hard for you to sleep?
15. Have you had medical problems because of your drinking or drug use?
16. Has a doctor ever treated you for your drinking or drug use?
If you answered YES to two or more of the questions above,
you may have a drug or alcohol problem and should seek professional help.
The National Institute on Drug Abuse provides several other assessments here: